Monday, January 20, 2014

Hibiscus Smelling

Everybody knows the old phrase "Stop and smell the roses".  Here in Hawaii I'm working on a new version:

Stop and smell the hibiscus

One of my main goals for the move was working on work/life balance. I don't mind working hard, but I want to master leaving work behind when I walk out the hospital door. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. 

Hawaiians are the masters of the laid back lifestyle. They are the creators of casual Friday (called Aloha Friday) and it's now extended to every day of the week. Like people from the mainland, they love happy hour (called pau hana). And if you want a snack with your drink, no worries they often have specials on those too (called pupus). This laid back attitude extends into the work environment.

This week one of my co-workers asked if I was okay since my schedule was so busy. I looked at her with a confused look... Was I busy?!? Busy has a whole other meaning for me. 

In Atlanta I learned how to multi-task. I could see 12 patients in a day, attend a meeting with nurses and still find thirty minutes in my day to work on whatever side project I was working on. I could quote every policy and meet every deadline, but I had a hard time finding thirty minutes for a lunch break. 

In Honolulu I'm working on slowing down. I'm seeing all my patients, but I don't have to rush from one baby to the next. I attend meetings, but so far I'm only on one committee. And best of of all I always have time for lunch... With my co-workers! I leave work on time, thinking about dinner or the sunset or what beach to visit on the weekend. And as I'm walking home, don't worry, I stop and take time to smell the hibiscus. Here's some pictures of a few Hawaiian flowers on my route between work & home:








And now for the picture of the week:
I was making "Christmas face" because I got a huge package from Amazon!!! (I like mail and I LOVE packages, even if I'm often the one sending them to myself). 

Mahalo!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Penny!!! So beautiful. ..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, it is a real pleasure reading you blog. When can we expect the first book ? No rush of course, keep your balance & enjoy

    ReplyDelete