Friday, December 13, 2013

What's in a name?

In the last month I feel like I've enrolled in an immersion course in Hawaiian language and culture. Although Hawaii is part of America, so much of it is distinctly very...Hawaiian. 

Here's a few of the things I've learned so far:
Mainland: Hello/Hi!
Hawaii: Aloha! If you're a visitor it's often followed with a lei. I've been lei'd three times!
Mainland: Kid/Child
Hawaii: Keiki
Mainland: Peeing and pooping
Hawaii: Making shishi and doodoo
 Mainland: Trash can
Hawaii: Rubbish bin
Mainland: Penny, P, Lal, LK
Hawaii: Auntie, Laura, Laura G, "I know my nametag says Laura, but please call me Penny"!

I've also heard a smattering of Asian words in reference to food items and unidentifiable words that only seem to make sense if using context cues. 

If I keep this immersion course up I should be fluent in no time!!!

And here's my favorite pic of the week:
Mahalo!

1 comment:

  1. You should write your own Hawaiian slang dictionary! Mayu did tell me that there is another language you have yet to mention. Have you heard pidgin yet????

    ReplyDelete