Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Buried Alived!!!

TLC's "Hoarding: Buried Alive" is a program that is both fascinating and terrifying. Each week they feature 1-2 people whose inner demons prevent them from throwing anything away. They save paper, food, collectibles and sometimes even their own pee and poo. . . Gross!!!

When I moved I was determined to clear out the excess from my life. I went through everything I owned and decided if I needed to keep it or not. With the help of my Dad I made 13 trips to Goodwill with donations. I threw out an incredible amount of junk. And yet I still managed to keep a bunch of stuff. 

I'm living fairly minimally in Hawaii. You can check out my old post "Living in 600 sq ft" for more info. However, all you have to do is look in my parent's attic or my sister's garage to know that I'm still holding on to many things. 

In the last four months I've noticed a lot of people in this town also have a tendency to hold onto stuff, but they take it to a whole other level. I've heard lots of complaints that there is never enough room, but in both the business and the personal realm I've seen people holding onto their junk. 

This hoarding is amazing to me. How can you sit at a desk when you can't fit your legs underneath? How can you enjoy the Hawaiian weather if your lanai is stacked full? I hope to continue living an organized, semi-minimalistic life all while staring in awe at Hawaii's hoarders. Perhaps I should call the producers at TLC...

And now for some pictures:
Check out the boxes on the lanai. 

This is what I imagine the kitchen looks like. (Photo from TLC)


Here's the apt right next to the last one. I don't think they can even get outside on their lanai. 
Their living room has to look like this, right?!? (Photo from TLC)
Even the streets are full of junk. On the first Wednesday the trash men pickup large items so the streets are full of beds, sofas and toilets!

Welcome to paradise ;-)


And now for the pic of the week:
Gnomey making some friends. 

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment