Friday, February 28, 2014

My Sweet Josie (2001-2014)

Thirteen years ago I made a reckless decision that changed my life. In no way is a college senior ready to care for an animal, some days I could barely care for myself. But when my college roomie asked if I wanted a kitten, I forgot about being responsible and said "yes"!

Turns out I agreed to take in a fiesty little kitty named "Penny". The first thing on the agenda was to change her name, since we needed a way to tell the two of us apart. I flipped through my Cosmo magazines and came up with the name Josie. 

The first couple of years we learned a lot from each other. She learned I wasn't consistent at cleaning her litter box. I learned that she could climb the fireplace in order to get treats. She learned that water from the sink tasted the best. I learned that she would knock anything off a table all in the name of "entertainment". 

In grad school she became my miracle kitty. One March evening she escaped from my apartment. I searched. I cried. I hung signs throughout the complex. Twenty nine days later I called my Mom and we discussed giving up the search. I decided to give it one more day. On day thirty I found Josie while biking around the neighborhood. She had lost 4 lbs, but still had on her collar and meowed at me when I called her name. 

Josie has lived with me in 5 homes. She supported me through two college graduations. She's been on road trips and survived weekends fending for herself. What I love most about my sweet Josie is that she always knew when I was having a bad day & would cuddle. 

In August Josie was diagnosed with a rare connective tissue cancer in her gum/jaw. The vet gave her as little as two months two live. At anytime this news would have been horrible, but this was also the time I was deciding to move to the other side of the country. I was devastated. 

For the last six months Josie has exceeded all expectations. She stayed behind in GA and has been receiving excellent hospice care at my parent's house. She's been spoiled rotten with deli turkey and head scratches. However, today her battle with cancer became too much and today I had to say goodbye. 

I've loved her since the day I got her. I've missed her since the day I moved away. Josie will always be my first "baby". 

And now so you can appreciate how cute she was:
Cuddling on the sofa. 

Burrowing under a blanket. 

Loving on BooBoo. 

A collection of my favorites. 
Dressed up as an angel for Halloween one year. (Yes she was pissed). 
 
Our last FaceTime. Miss you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for trusting us with her care . She was loved & so are you.

    ReplyDelete