Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Toto, I don't think I'm in GA anymore

A part of being a new employee means having regular check-ins my with boss. At each meeting she has a set of questions that she asks me.  And at each meeting I give pretty similar answers. 

Boss: Has anyone helped you orient or made you feel comfortable at the hospital?
Me: Sure. (I then list 1-2 names of people I work with.)
Boss: Is your job meeting the expectations described to you during your interview?
Me: Yup. 
Boss: Do you have any plans to resign?
Me: Nope. 
 
At our last meeting, the boss got creative, went off the list and threw in a new question. Knowing that I was looking for a cultural experience when I made the move, she wanted to know if Hawaii was foreign enough for me. 

Hmmm. Is it?!?! Let's take a look at the definition. 

foreign- adj. 
1. of, from, in or characteristic of a country or langauge other than one's own
2.  strange or unfamiliar

Thanks Google dictionary, I think Hawaii is foreign. While it's not a different country I'm still adjusting to the new culture. Instead of eating pizza and Mexican food, I'm eating  Asian food several times a week. Technically English is spoken here, but now keiki, pau, mauka, makai, puka and pona are words that I understand. And although I haven't bought a muumuu yet, they do look awfully comfy. Also there are many times I look around the room only to realize everyone else is Asian. 

So I guess I am getting a foreign expirience. My boss can rest easy tonight. 

And now for the pic of the week:

Iced latte on the beach... Don't mind if I do ;-)

Mahalo!

1 comment:

  1. All questions asked & answered, check. That's my Penny. I hope that you are still enjoying your new surroundings & experience. I am certainly enjoying your weekly posts. I look forward to them.
    Tina & I are looking forward to our vist next month. Skype, Facetime, blogs & emails just do not fill even my minimum daily requirement of PENNY. You are missed as much as you are loved and you know that is a lot . Have a great week ! Enjoy paradise, Dad.

    ReplyDelete