Monday, April 28, 2014

Get real!

I've always loved eating. And in my adult years I've developed an appreciation for cooking as well. 

About a year ago I tried a month long "cleanse" that involved eating unprocessed, vegan food. At the beginning of the month I was tired and cranky. By the end of the month I felt much better, but I knew a vegan lifestyle definately wasn't for me (I just love cheese way too much). I did, however, gain an appreciation for cooking and eating whole, fresh food. I made a point to start consciously working them into my everyday diet. 

Now I've decided to take my commitment to the next level. I am still cooking and eating whole, fresh food but now I am also avoiding sugar and processed flours. It only took a couple of switch-outs in my pantry and a complete change in the way I think about snacking. I'm two weeks in and so far, so good.  

At this point I'm not willing to swear of flour and sugar forever, but check out some of the tasty meals I've made: 
Breakfast of local tomatoes and hard-boiled organic eggs. 

Sweet potato and quinoa cakes topped with an avocado sauce. 

 Chickpea and spinach curry over brown rice. 
Spinach and quinoa cake topped with a fried egg. 

And now for the pic of the week:
This beautiful flower was here one day and gone the next. Good thing I snapped the picture when I did!

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment