Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Hawaiian Holiday

In Hawaii June 11th is kinda a big deal. Schools, banks, government offices and most importantly rehab departments shut down for the day. The reason for all the shutdowns and closures? Why King Kamehameha Day of course!!!

In honor of the day off from work I did some formal research on the Hawaiian holiday. Apparently today is the birthday of King Kamahameha the Great (not to be confused with all the other King Kamehamehas). Why was he so great?!? This king was responsible for uniting the islands as a Hawaiian nation. 

I also did some informal research and polled my co-workers to figure out the authentic way to celebrate. There was no consensus. One was just gonna sleep in (sounds good to me). Another thought the holiday was perfect for picnicking (who doesn't love food outside?). The last one mentioned an official parade and lei ceremony, but had no plans to go (as a new transplant I should give it a try!). 

Here's what my Kamehameha holiday looked like:
It was a beautiful day, so I had to spend most of it outside. Though with very few clouds and not much in the way of trade winds, 90 degrees felt awfully hot. 
The surf was up in Waikiki ... So many surfers and body boarders!

 As the day progressed it got hotter and hotter, so I hid in the shade of the lifeguard tower. The sand was so hot I think I burnt my feet!
It's not an afternoon at Waikiki without seeing this juggler. 
MUST cool off with some shave ice!!!!!!
Ali'iolani Hale where the festivities took place. 
The scale of these decorative leis was huge. The air was full of the scent of plumeria. 
And the final product. The statue is completely draped in lei. 

And now for the pic of the week:
One happy selfie...

Mahalo!

1 comment:

  1. I love getting these local history stories. The pictures are great (as usual) .I hope that you enjoyed the day, giving us the tour. It was great to see you. Know that you are in my thoughts, my prayers & my heart every day. Love you Dad

    ReplyDelete