Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Sunday Funday

What happens when you take your workout into the great outdoors? What I got was a chance to test my endurance and agility all while taking in some amazing views!
This weekend a group from the gym spent Sunday hiking on the North Shore. The selected hike was Kealia Trail. In Hawaiian, Kealia means "salt encrustation". This is an interesting name since the only salt I saw was a result of all my sweating. 
In theory it was a perfect day to hike. The sky was blue. There were very few clouds in the sky. The downside... Hawaii is in the middle of a heat wave. Sunday's temperature was SO hot and SO humid it was this close to breaking records. 
The hike started with 19 switchbacks up a mountain followed by a path that went STRAIGHT up. 
The reward? Beautiful views of the North Shore and Makua valley. 
The whole hike took almost 4 hours (Actually I used a timer so I can say it took 3:50:03.31. How's that for exact?!? Ha!). 
There were a couple of highlights to my day: 

I made some sweet little friends. One was my own personal encourager. She kept yelling "Come on Aunty, you can do it!" 
I loved my post-hike Mexican food and jalapeƱo margarita. Ole!
And nothing beat the sense of accomplishment I felt at completing Kealia Trail. I can now say with confidence that I'm an intermediate hiker ;-)

And now for the pic of the week:
I think I just might be a Mai Tai connoisseur. I know where to find the best (Moana Surfrider), worst (Hale Kulani) and the best deal (Snappers). Raise a glass to that ... Cheers!

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment