Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Ichi-go, ichi-e

This past week I met my parents in Portland. We decided it was the perfect compromise between east coast and Hawaii. Portland was also a perfect choice because of the delicious food, yummy drinks, beautiful gardens, tall waterfalls and tax-free shopping. 

One of the places we visited was the Portland Japanese Garden. Apparently it's the top ranked Japanese garden in the U.S.  
It was a koi feeding frenzy when the snack pellets came out. 

And because our tour guide was full of fun factoids I also learned that Japanese Gardens:
- Use the human perspective. So no tall trees or bushes. 
- Assymetry and open space are often highlighted. That means lots of pruning. 
- Symbolism is everywhere. That flat rock? It represents a turtle and longevity of life. 

Can you spot the "turtle"? 

I also learned about the Japanese saying, ichi-go ichi-e. Roughly translated it means you only live once (YOLO, ha!). I found this phrase resonated with me because this trip really was once in a lifetime. Now that thousands of miles separate me from my family, I really appreciate all the time we have together. 

Now check out some pictures from my trip: 

I don't normally drink beer, but it seemed the right thing to do with a brewpub on every corner. For the record Mom & I really don't like IPAs!

Just me, Dad and a huge waterfall. No biggie. 

Wine makes all family get-together a better... Cheers!

This is what happens when you give your father a selfie-stick....ha!

And now for the pic of the week:
If you had asked me a week ago if I liked roses, I would have said "no way"! But after visiting the International Rose Test Garden I have a whole new appreciation for them. 

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment