Tuesday, February 25, 2014

H2 Oh No!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am cursed. In my life I have lived in seven apartments. Of those, I have had flooding issues in five. The incidents have ranged from minor to disastrous. As a result I am left with the fear that any place I live may wash away at any moment. 

Here are the events in chronological order:

The summer before senior year at Furman University I decided to stay in Greenville and work a summer job. I got an apt with two girls for a couple of months. This is where the trend of flooding started. One afternoon we flushed the downstairs toilet. Instead of the water going down, it came back up ... Along with a pieces of a dead squirrel!!! This event was more gross than anything else. 

(Not the actual squirrel or the actual toilet)

At the end of the summer I went to move into another apartment in the same complex. On move-in day I discovered a waterfall coming from the upstairs toilet, through the ceiling and even out the front door. Turned out the landlord wasn't as handy as he thought he was!
(This is how I remember this flood, though this picture is actually of the waterfall in Waimea valley. The waterfall is small as far as Hawaii goes, but would be pretty impressive inside a home!)

For grad school I moved to Charlestown. With that move my Mom insisted my childhood waterbed move with me. What no one could have foreseen was that the mattress would pop on a weekend I was out of town. Not the biggest water leak, but very stressful for the roomie who was nice enough to hold down the fort while I attempted to fix things long distance. 
(Now we don't have any witnesses, but I'm pretty sure this is what went down between Josie and Miss Ella)

Atlanta has suffered through a lot of snow and ice this winter. So far my place had gone unscathed (knock on wood). However, 5+ years ago some bad neighbor abandoned their home and stopped paying for heat. Their pipe burst and my townhome was soaked in water. Doesn't seem fair...
Don't worry. Karma worked out. I used the insurance check to put in hardwoods. Bam!
(Again, not the real thing. But this was the prettiest version of frozen pipes I could find. I didn't want to traumatize all my mainland friends who may still be dealing with winter weather)

And now for Hawaii. I should have known it was coming. I mean, I'm living on an island. But as usual, the water comes from unexpected places. 

While doing dishes I noted my kitchen sink wasn't draining. I tried running the disposal. No luck. So I contacted the landlord and went to work, waiting to hear back from the plumber. When I come home, this is what I see:

And the smell... Think wet trash. YUCK!!! 

Good news is nothing of mine was damaged. AND I'm counting this as my water damage for this apt, so no more should occur, right?!? I've yet to have one place flood twice and I don't plan on starting in Honolulu. 

And now for the pic of the week:
Hot dog face. Makes me miss some of my friends at home. 

Mahalo!

1 comment:

  1. You and water are clearly not friends. I think you might need some sort for karmic cleanse. Cheese Sammich!

    ReplyDelete