Sunday, February 2, 2014

Kung hee fat choy

This past weekend marked the celebration of Chinese New Year. I decided to soak up some culture and head down to Chinatown for the festivities. 

Let me share with you what I learned:

2014 is the year of the horse

Okay, that's about all the factual information I learned because the majority of the festival was in Chinese. And despite the title of this entry, I don't speak Chinese. Luckily I soaked up the cultural expirience without understanding what was being said. 

The music performed was quite the assortment. In the afternoon it started with some elderly couples singing karaoke (not very well I might add). Then a guest musician from Taiwan played the ukulele. And of course he sang "Somewhere over the Rainbow". The night ended with ridiculously loud drums, cymbals and gongs... Very exciting! 

Now it's not really a festival if you don't try the food. There was a variety to choose from. From fish balls to shrimp chips & chicken wings to thing with names I won't even begin to pronounce. I liked everything I tried, but then again, I didn't go crazy. 

My favorite part of the event was the lion dancing. I was so impressed by the athletic ability as well as the theatric skill of the performers some of whom were just little kids. 

And since a picture is worth a thousand words,check out what I saw:

One of the trinkets for sale. I believe it's supposed to bring wealth to your household. 

Omg ... Cutest little hula girl ever!!!
This lion held two of the to tiniest little boys. So cute. 
My favorite lion, the purple one. Duh. I fed him a dollar to bring me luck. 
Mango milk tea jalea... Like bubble tea but with a bottom full of jelly. 
Jin dui with coconut filling. I admit I googled what this was before I bought it & when I ordered I just pointed. But it turned out to be yummy!
 Something safe, a spring roll. 
Overall a successful night with only a moderate amount of rain.  

And now for the picture of the week:
This was the first time I'd been in the sunshine in over a week. The clouds quickly came back, but this was an amazing 20 minutes. 

Mahalo!

1 comment: