Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The 808


Growing up in Atlanta I remember when we switched from 7-digit phone numbers to 10-digit phone numbers. I still have the memory of when the 678 area code was added. I also remember when I went off to college in South Carolina and I couldn't just put down "7" and expect everyone to know that my area code was 770. 

I'm used to explaining the 10-digit system to people new to Atlanta. And during all my explanations I felt the whole 404, 770, 678 process made sense. It was how I was raised. 

But now I'm trying to make sense of the whole 808 area code. I'm sure it makes sense to everyone who grew up in Hawaii, but I'm still confused. 

Here's the details:
- The whole state is in the 808 area code
- When dialing numbers on the island of Oahu, the call is local and only 7-digit dialing is needed
- If the number is on a neighbor island, the call is long distance and you need 10 digits

As a new resident I have to learn what towns people & their numbers are from as well as what island they live on.  This can be difficult, for example Kailua is local but Kailua Kona is long distance. If I use my cell phone everything gets easier, I just use the 808 no matter what. When dialing long distance at work things get complicated since each long distance call has to go through the operator dispatch system. Thank goodness for Google maps, I can search for the clients address prior to calling them. I wouldn't want the operator to think I'm a newbie who didn't know the difference between Wainiha and Waianae (even though I actually don't). 

Though to make matters worse I'm still desperately clinging to my 770 number. It didn't seem to matter when I lived in South Carolina for seven years, but for some reason in HI my cell number brands me as an outsider... Or maybe it's my blonde hair ;-)

And now for the pic of the week:
Check out this fresh poke bowl from Ono seafood... I'm seriously addicted!

Mahalo!

1 comment:

  1. I would like some Poke Bowl from Ono please ! As for the phones, technology is great until it isn't. This is all part of that new experience that you were soooo craving. Enough the good, the bad & the confusing. All of it will make you a better person. More open, more understanding and (if it is possible) more smarter. Your mom & I are going to Longhorn tonight. Thanks for the card. We love you and cannot wait to see you. Just one more week.

    ReplyDelete