Monday, May 19, 2014

Time flies

It's official, I've been living in Hawaii for six months. That's half a year in Honolulu. 

Since I've met such a major milestone, I feel it's important to look back and reflect on how I've changed. Here's some things that I've noticed:

- I'm still working on my Hawiian. pronunciation. I've got some of the basics down, but the more vowels there are in a word the more likely I am to sound like I'm from the mainland. 
- Besides writing "aloha" and "mahalo" in my emails/blogs, only two words have worked their way into my daily vocab: shishi and pau (that means pee and stop BTW). 
- I'm hooked on some staple Hawiian foods.  A week doesn't go by without me eating poke. Shave ice is one of my favorite sweet treats. I've started drinking like the locals... bubble tea that is. And I'm still searching for the best acai bowl on the island. 
- As I announced on FB last week, I've lost 25lbs since the move. That's involved a lot of changes. I exercise a lot and eat whole, fresh food... Well, except for those Hawaiian favorites I listed above. 

Overall I would say this adventure is living up to expectations. Work is... Well, work. I love the weather and can't get enough of the sunshine. The only thing I would change would be moving all my family and friends closer! 

And in case you're a visual person, here are some pictures:

A delicious mountain of shave ice. Want to know my favorite combo? It's coconut and mango with condensed milk on top... Yum!
Here's the best poke on the island from Ono Seafood. I like it over rice like this poke bowl. I'll also eat it will gluten free crackers, but that's not very Hawaiian of me. 
I like my tea with 100% sweetness and tiny balls. These are the things you need to know when work is phoning in an order. 

So far Blue Hawaii is winning the acai bowl competition. 

This selfie was taken in December on my first visit to Waikīkī. 
My most recent visit to Waikīkī. Yep I'm wearing the same dress despite the weight loss, perhaps all the weight has just come off my face (jk). 

And now for the pic of the week:
The weather this week has been crazy (rain, sun, rain, sun) and the picture of these clouds is proof!

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment