Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Into the Storm

Last Friday a new movie hit the big screen, "Into the Storm". From what I've heard the movie is about a larger than life superstorm. There was no need for me to go to the theaters because I was able to watch Hawaii prepare for their own superstorm. 

If you read last week's post you know all about my preparedness ... This is the story of my survival (spoiler alert: no ones gonna make a movie about this). 

In preparation for the storm my hospital called a "code black". They called off all non-essential staff. Critical staff, like myself, were required to report early in order to arrive before Iselle hit. 
I tried to keep my whining to a minimum. At least the hospital management sees me as essential & had my safety in mind. But it's hard not to whine at 4:30 am when you haven't yet had any coffee. 

To help brighten my mood I wore my polka dot rain boots. If nothing else my feet were flash flood ready!

My island, Oahu, saw limited impact from Iselle. She spent most of her energy hitting the windward coast of the Big Island. The National Gaurd and Red Cross are still helping the residents clean up and put their lives back together. 
This was what is was like in Honolulu. These pictures were taken 30 minutes apart. The whole morning the rain/wind would start and stop. 

Once we got the all clear I headed home and celebrated after confirming my apartment was still in one piece. The next piece of good news: Hurricane Julio path was now headed into the ocean north of the islands.  What better way to celebrate...
Than voting! Saturday was the HI primary. 
Cause as they say in Hawaii:
And now for the pic of the week:
I was feeling a little foodie-homesick. To make myself feel better I recreated Momma Goldberg's nachos (just steam nacho cheese Doritos with pepper jack cheese on top). If I closed my eyes I felt like I was back in the South. Yum-o. 

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment