Sunday, August 24, 2014

Penny Hungry!

This weekend I found myself wandering the streets of Chinatown (don't worry Mom I wasn't alone). 

Yet again I started the evening off with an old fashioned at The Manifest. I've decided these are the perfect happy hour drink because they encourage slow sipping, but still put the happy in happy hour. 


As the night went on I started to feel HANGRY & that's when the wandering began. . . 

I found a restaurant featuring French Latin fusion on Yelp. Someone had recommended Grondin to me before so I wanted to check the menu out. With three different menu items containing duck I knew I would've found something I liked. But with dinner prices > $20 it seems like it would be better for a fancy date night. Scratch that idea & time to start walking. 

First we stopped by Downbeat Lounge. It's half bar and half restaurant. The best way to describe it: Hipster Diner. The menu looked good, but the tables were way too small to accommodate our group. Looks like a great spot for four or less. 

Then we made a quick pass by Lucky Belly, an Asian fusion restaurant featuring oxtail soup.  A quick look at the menu looked alright, though probably more meat than I like. But we kept walking because of the line at the door. 

Next our wandering took us to The Pig and The Lady. This cute little restaurant features Vietnamese fusion with a lot of pork (if you couldn't guess from their name). Thank goodness they have options for those of us who don't eat quadrupeds.  I've tried their food before at the KCC Farmers Market and was excited to check out the full menu. However, the hostess said it would be a one hour wait and that was not going to work. The hunger in my belly was now similar to the Hulk smashing his fists ("Penny Hungry!"). 
Check out the tofu bun I had at the L&TP tent. You could see why I would want to try more!

Finally we ended up at the perfect spot. Only a few blocks away the Little Village Noodle House had 4.5 stars on Yelp. And most importantly they were able to sit my group in <5 mins. The food came fast, was hot & delicious... Yum-o!

Chinese food in Chinatown... Seems appropriate. 
Tofu potstickers. As the healthy one at the table I got mine steamed (or maybe I just like them better that way). 
Garlic rice. OMG. I could barely talk during dinner. I was so busy eating this deliciousness! 
See I told you I was hangry, very little left behind!

After this weekend I feel like I could host a walking tour of the restaurants of Chinatown. Now I just need to eat at more of them so I decide which ones are the best. Maybe next time when I'm not so hangry. 

And now for the pic of the week:
The big cloud was a storm that rolled in and out in <10 mins. It brought rain and humidity, but also brought the temperature down. 

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment