Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Long weekends

Did you enjoy a long weekend last week? I did! What no three day weekend on the mainland?!? Well this little bonus day was thanks to the Hawaiian state holiday, "Admissions Day". 

This is the day Hawiians celebrate (or for some protest) becoming the 50th state. In 1959 after a public vote Dwight D Eisenhower signed all the official paperwork to make Hawaii a legit US state. 

In remembeance of this historic event there's a state holiday on the third Friday of August each year. Ya-hoo!! During the hurricane I was considered essential staff and had to come in to the hospital; however, one week later I'm no longer essential and I got the day off. I wasn't free of responsibilities, I did have to carry the on call pager.  No complaints here though. I enjoyed the weekend by spending time with friends, enjoying the sunshine & getting in a workout or two ;-)

And now for the pic of the week:
I didn't even realize it was a double rainbow until after I took the picture. And check out the flag... The state flag in honor of the holiday!

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment