Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I got culture!

You don't have to look that hard to realize the culture in HI is very different than back in the South where I was raised. The people are from different countries, the food tastes different, and I've heard languages that I didn't even know existed. Even the religion here is more diverse. 

This weekend I got to expirience Japanese culture. The JCC (Japanese Cultural Center) was hosting the New Year Ohana Festival. I went to check it out with some girls from the gym. 

We started by checking out the food...Duh. 

Here's okonomiyashi, a cabbage & noodle pancake. Oddly enough I wished it had more cabbage!

Here they're making andagi, similar to a  fried donut. I thought they tasted a lot like fritters or hush puppies. 

And of course green milk tea with boba!

Next on the list was cultural immersion. I watched a group pound out fresh mochi. Then I listened to taiko drums. I walked by a Shinto booth where they were giving out sake & candy in exchange for donations. I ended by checking out the crafts & artisans. 

There was a man with his banzai. A group of people were weaving decorative rope. Women were demonstrating creating art with homemade paper (this one was so cool I may have to take a class or two). Finally I tried to copy the Japanese kanji for "dream". 

Here I'm getting my lesson before I start. 

Mine doesn't look quite the same, but my instructor promised I didn't write anything offensive!

And then since the price was right we decided to buy a kimono. 

Of course I picked the purple one!

And now for the pic of the week:
My friend Ali took this one as I was halfway up Koko Head. This hike is a serious one & I'm proud to say that I did it. 

Mahalo!

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Where else could you experience all of this except HI. Glad to hear you made it to the top but saw the text picture. Worried about that leg. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete