Sunday, October 5, 2014

Local Living

This week I tried to get in touch with my local side. Now with my blonde hair, blue eyes and my "southern" accent no one is gonna actually mistake me for a local, but it can't hurt to try!

This week I started ukelele lessons. My grandparents gave me some money for my birthday and I decided to put the cash to good use. 

I bought a months worth of lessons at Roy Sukuma Ukelele Studio. After my first class I can already pick a scale and strum a song. 

I'm well on my way to becoming a master. 

The ukelele's small size makes it easier than the guitar... at least for me!

I also took my local efforts into the kitchen. I bought a rice cooker and have been practicing using it. According to my friends there shouldn't be any practice needed with a rice cooker, but I guess I'm the exception. My first batch was burnt. My second batch was scalded. My third and most recent batch had a brown film on the bottom. At least I'm getting progressively better!

Also, remember that mac salad I raved about last week? That delicious scoop of goodness from All Kine Grindz? Well I attempted to duplicate it. My friends told me the secret is to use Best Foods mayo (east coast friends that's the same as Hellmans). I then searched the internet and compared different mac salad recipes. Finally, I compared my memory of what All Kine Grindz tastes like. The result wasn't too bad, but I'll probably makes some changes for the next batch. 
My batch. 
The original. (I'm pretty darn close)

Now do I think the ukelele, rice or mac salad will magically make me local?!? Nope. But at least I don't have to show up empty handed to any BBQs. 

And now for the pic of the week:
I totally stole this picture from Pinterest, but I love all my friends both new and old. 

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment