Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Yoga Dilemma

So I've started to add yoga into my weekly workout routine. With all the cardio and lifting I'm doing I thought working on stretching and balance would be a nice compliment. 

This is the day my thoughts of trying yoga began, back when I started hiking with my friend who's a yoga pro. 

My workout and nutrition accountability partner took be to a nearby studio where I got to try out classes free for a week. And don't worry, I made sure to get my monies worth!

Free week? Yes please!

What I like about the studio:
- It's only 4 months old. Everything is clean and new.
- The facilities are fancy. There's a spacious locker room, showers and even water/towels/mats for rent or purchase. 
- The classes are split up by level, so I'm in a room with other yoga newbies. 
- The instructors have gone out of their way to be nice: learning my name, remembering what poses I'm working on, etc. 
- At the end of the workout I feel like I've had a full body massage. I'm relaxed and my muscles feel all loosey-goosey. 

But here's the dilemma. While I have a few people that I love, i don't like yogis in general. While I don't mind the quiet meditation at the end, they openly talk about shining hearts and chakras.  Heart centers and third eyes are a part of the workout routine. And worst of all, they manage to look serene while I'm sweating like a beast in the "cool" 90 degree room. And unlike Fitness Ranes where we end with a cheer, at the end of a yoga practice you bow, namaste and then clap for the instructor. 

Here's my space: it's a touchy-feely free zone. 

For now I'm going to stay focused on the positives. Maybe I'll just continue to quietly meditate while all the touchy-feely talk goes on. 

Luckily the studio is setup to keep me serene and focusing on the positives. 

And now for the pic of the week:

My alma mater, Furman University, had an event to increase their online presence (and raise funds too, of course). This was my contribution for #DinsDay

Namaste... Oops, I mean, Mahalo!

1 comment:

  1. Is there room in your life for Yoga ? Sounds like there are pluses & minuses . Who cares, do you like it ? Love you.

    ReplyDelete